Feb 18, 2021

AIR-INDIA

Its that time of the year where we justify the ownership of these big machines by doing one decent mile multi overnighter ride. As it happened I had to ditch the plans because of some urgent work commitment while Mal went along with it. It was done, I was left behind and reasons could not be compromised with at this time. Left uneasy - to my mind plans would come and go - weird and extreme in nature. Finally, I had to go, something had to be done and this time would not be wasted.

The reasonable mandate to my mind whilst formulating the route was this - it needs to be challenging, it had to involve new places and it had to be within 4 nights. Days/route selected were to be such that I hook up with Mal coming from Goa and we ride back together. A route was charted, given the conditions.


Jaisalmer - Barmer sunrise

May I say that situations popped up thereafter, that made me reconsider my plan but I was too determined/ ahead mentally to let anything dissuade me. The plan was exciting and I would be visiting places which I had talked/thought of many a times but never could/would. Confession - my nerves were edgy. This ride was to be the first - it was to be the first solo, multi night ride on a superbike. Year 2009 was solo trip to Goa on a Royal Enfield and 12 years later a solo trip on Harley Davison. Edgy was justified.

Itinerary

Long story short is this - I cannot word what I saw and what I experienced, but what it did rekindle within me was the same feeling that I had 12 years ago when I just picked my bike and left. What shifts/changes within you I believe depends person to person, but such trips make you travel within and you are no longer at the same place where you started. Freedom in its true essence is this - when you are on your own, your every little step/decision adding to overall outcome in the given timeframe. Not just riding; it could be any activity bearing responsibility wherein the word responsibility might sound heavy but handled properly - it is liberating - makes you free. Riding exposes you completely to all of the nature's elements resulting in a wholesome experience of journey; a reason why it holds precedence in me over other modes of transport.

White Rann

What excitement I felt - to share some. The early morning ride between Jaisalmer to Barmer, witnessing sunrise from my left while riding on a loner highway in the midst of nowhere - Superb. The stretch between Barmer to Sanchore - filled with peacocks, like number of peacocks that I haven seen combined, in 40 years of my existence. Peacocks to the left, peacocks to the right, peacocks crossing - just peacocks all around - Amazing. A particular stretch between Adesar and Bhachau (Gujarat) - to my right a flat ground, ready as cricket ground for as far as my eyes could see and to my left a huge water body and far on its bank a railway track with goods train moving in same direction as I; music ON what a composition of view it was - Wow. A feeling of deja vu - excerpts of Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged. Kutchh was simply outstanding; astounded me with its view, it really was high point of the whole trip. Wonderful stay at Kutcch - my Mohammedan hosts at Mahefeel-e-Rann Resort were not only impressive with simplicity but also with their fundamental concepts of hospitality in the middle of nowhere. The road from Mount Abu to Udaipur is again a wonder in itself. Needs to be mentioned the highway infra has improved significantly - Kudos to Mr. Nitin Gadkari and team.

one could trip staring at this ceiling alone @mahefeel-rann

In the end am just glad to feel the way I am feeling after this trip. I am thankful that I was given the opportunity and wisdom to do this, and then return safely to talk about it. Grateful to be able to tread on new paths of our planet and to be able to execute as planned. Mal and I met up effortlessly at Udaipur.

Further grateful for encouraging comments enroute from fellow denizens - AA VEKH......SADAK WALI AIR-INDIA

2 comments:

Ankush said...

Superb journey around
Really inspiring

Ankush said...

Really inspiring
A spark ignited