Feb 26, 2018

Ape Bars

It has been a while that I wrote a worthy ride report. The bike has been modified/accessorised/worked upon piecemeal and the one thing that took a lot of contemplation and time, were Ape Bars. What height, what style – and not having the option of trying one before deciding, I literally had to take a leap into the blind. Ordered sixteen inch ape bars from Harley itself in beginning of December last year, expecting the same to arrive by January first week.

new look 
The bars got delayed and then, when they did come, the bar mount was of different size - plus the consignment had a missing clutch cable. I wasn’t disappointed, my expectations from Harley India were in real check given 7 some years of experience. A bush to complete the bar ring size was suggested and custom prepared while the clutch cable snaked its way to Indian shores. Finally the whole set was ready by 23rd of this month and I took my machine to workshop with an open mind, expecting anything. Few hours later with service done and bars installed, I rode out and first impressions – FUN!

Could not wait to take the bike out for a longer ride to gauge many performance variables and body response to a new riding posture. Went till Karnal and back. Initially I was to take it slow and take a break at Karnal before returning, but such was the fun riding with new Apes, that I took a break only after returning home. 250 kms, 3 hours, non-stop exhilaration. The whole experience has changed for better - if I may summarise. There was a little stiffness behind the neck, but for a very short time and can well be attributed to non-riding than higher arm position because of apes. The bike which earlier seemed heavy to manoeuver, now turns and cuts like a dream - and with that much horsepower behind the wheels - I can only say that I have not felt young like today for a very very long time.

The change seems for the better and with my lady pushing me to change the pillion seat - I believe riding days are here again - and with full force.

Cheers to that & safe riding all !

No comments: