May 12, 2014

And they have a brake oil tester too....

Its been couple of weeks when the route for that Sunday's solo ride was, Chandigarh-Dharampur-U TURN-Zirakpur-Ambala-U TURN-Chandigarh.

It was a warm sunny day, and I was gunning my bike through the turns and corners of the Shivaliks. The brake pedal was engaging, but a little late. At Dharampur, I checked the brake assembly for leaks but surprisingly for a Harley, their were none. Three kms into descent, and the pedal was floored with zero braking output. After 5 pumps the brake engaged, but for an emergency - it was totally missing. Front brake still working, we descended easy to the Himalayan Expressway, where, for some strange reason the rear brake was now completely effective. FULL PRESSURE. Now that it was working again, why not complete the decided route !

And so we did, only to have it fail again 1 km short of home. Whilst the mind was working on various reasons for this strange behaviour, none could explain why. Called the service chaps, who promptly suggested that master cylinder and calliper might need to be changed. On the availability, the story is as rotten as before. With hundreds of bikes on Indian streets now, plus having its assembly line here in India - there isn't one set of master cylinder or calliper in Harley's service spares inventory, for the entire country. Wait time - sir lets go for a looooong walk ! How long ? Two months...maybe more.

WURTH Brake Fluid Tester
However, all this was working on an assumption that the fault is as suggested. So I waited, waited for the depression to sink in that I'll have to deal with American bull poop again. I mean AGAIN - with the capitals. Meanwhile, I discussed the issue with Melvin who suggested to get the brake oil changed. Him says its supposed to be changed every 2 years and in my case, its been 4 years and going on....thus far !

With hope I reached the workshop today, and impressively they have a brake oil tester. That a device existed only for this purpose, had a wave of anxiety flow through this primal bulleteer - I wanted to touch/feel it. And sure enough as we opened the master cylinder, at the sight of stunk oil I was disgusted at my ignorance. The red light of fluid tester, rubbed it in further. Promptly changed oil for both front and rear brakes, got the callipers adjusted and we all prayed that this works.

Well so far it does....and would know for sure in the next long ride.

My BEST to me !

No comments: